Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Rant: Mobile Emission's Testing

I recently got flagged along C5 by the MMDA for allegedly smoke belching. It's been just a few months since i got my van registered and i was appalled that my car was in question. I argued for a few minutes with the officer in charge to no avail. After debating that I was newly registered and tested he still demanded that my van get tested with their mobile emission's testing units. Ready to submit to the test, I glance upon a pickup in front of me who had also been caught and was midway into the testing. To my surprise, they were really revving the car's engine. With the sound the pickup was making they must have really had the pedal to the metal. Now, I'm no expert but there's no way any 2 year old diesel vehicle here in the Philippines will pass an emissions test conducted that way. Luckily, i remembered an acquaintance of mine who runs and emissions testing center and told me to watch out for these so called mobile testers. He instructed me to ask the officer about the calibration of the machines as these are supposed to be calibrated twice a year to ensure the fair testing. True enough when i brought this up to the officer, he admitted that it has not been calibrated since it was acquired 3 years ago. I told him i had a "friend" who will be very angry about that and in the end, he let me go.

Watch out for these mobile testers. It seems very sneaky and looks like another revenue scheme for the MMDA. It's not fair to motorists if you're doomed to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment